Following Campari Group’s acquisition of Champagne Lallier in 2020, Campari Group UK is pleased to announce that it will be taking on the distribution of the modern and respected brand Champagne Lallier within the London M25 area in a phased approach in combination with current distributor, Boutinot wines.
The brand will join the likes of Appleton Estate, Grand Marnier, The Glen Grant, and Bisquit & Dubouché as part of Campari Group UK’s newly created Rare division. Campari Group UK will distribute a range of Lallier cuvées in the UK market – Série R, Rosé, Blanc de Blancs, Millésimé and Ouvrage.
Founded in 1906 in Aÿ, one of the few villages classified as ‘Grand Cru’, Champagne Lallier carries a prestigious name – communicating the magnificent heritage of the region. Its distinctive winemaking philosophy aims to enhance the individuality of the terroir, of which the ultimate expressions are its flagship Séries R, and its hand-crafted prestige cuvée, Ouvrage.
Champagne Lallier is pleased to announce the launch of the latest iteration in its “R Series” Brut Non-Vintage cuvée: R.018. The R.018 continues the innovation created by Francis Tribaut with the launch of the R.010 in 2014. Born from a creative and modern winemaking philosophy, the Lallier Série R is inspired by nature, sincerity, and curiosity. As displayed transparently on its label, Série R conveys a reflection of its harvest year and embodies the pure nature of the Champagne terroir through the individuality of each expression.
The R.018 champagne is based on a large majority of wines from the 2018 harvest (70%). The 2018 harvest began at the end of August, after a very sunny and dry summer, when the grapes were perfectly ripe. “This kind of harvest only happens every 15 or 20 years. This was the case for example in 1970, 1982, 2004 and now 2018. This harvest is proof that we must always keep hope and believe in nature!”, praised Lallier Cellar Master, Dominique Demarville.
Cuvée R.018 exhibits the perfect balance between the four emotions of the Lallier style: Purity, Intensity, Freshness and Depth. The aromas are dominated by citrus fruits, lemon, supported by notes of ripe fruits and acacia flowers. Delicate notes of pastry and brioche demonstrate the evolution of the flavour profile that takes place during cellar ageing. The initial taste is lively and fresh, followed by a generous, voluminous, and intense character, abundant with notes of white fruit. The finish is clean, lingering, and full of depth, supported by velvety texture.
The R.018 cuvée succeeds the R.016 vintage, eschewing a less than lustrous 2017 harvest, maintaining a laser focus on exacting production standards and demonstrating the brand’s uncompromising character. In the R.018 iteration, Pinot Noir dominates the balance at 56%, hailing from Montagne de Reims and the Côte des Bar, two emblematic areas of the Champagne region. Chardonnay makes up the remaining 44%, derived primarily from the Côte des Blancs, bearing the purity and freshness that defines the signature Lallier style. Alongside the 2018 harvest, reserve wines, preserved on fine lees in vats after fermentation, account for 30% of the blend, derived primarily from the 2014, 2016 and 2017 harvests.
Campari Group UK’s Managing Director, Brad Madigan, says of the acquisition:
‘‘We are thrilled to introduce Lallier as the first champagne in our portfolio. Lallier is a progressive Champagne house, producing fine quality wines and is an exciting addition to Campari Group’s growing Rare portfolio, which includes Appleton Estate, Grand Marnier, The Glen Grant, and Bisquit & Dubouché, further diversifying our stellar line-up. I would like to thank the team at Boutinot Wines for their continued commitment to establishing Lallier in the UK market. We are very much looking forward to building on Boutinot Wines’s great work, and introducing more wine lovers to Champagne Lallier.’