The first ever virtual DBA Design Effectiveness Awards ceremony was held live on Zoom today where 26 shortlisted projects discovered if they’d won Gold, Silver or Bronze awards. While all of the winning projects demonstrate the hugely significant impact design makes across a broad section of industry – from global brands and major retailers to innovative start-ups and social enterprises – the judges found five particularly outstanding, awarding them coveted Gold awards.
- Diageo with Bompas & Parr, Design Bridge and Dolmen for Guinness Hero Harps (Grand Prix winner): A disruptive new fount that is 10% cheaper to produce than its predecessor and secured 45,928 global orders in 20-months, vastly exceeding targets and re-establishing Guinness’s presence on crowded bar-tops amidst growing competition.
- Glasgow City Council with 999 Design for Glasgow Club: brand identity and campaign for Glasgow City Council’s network of leisure centres resulting in a 16% uplift in membership sign-ups (versus an industry average of 2%), particularly among hard-to-reach groups.
- Mother with B&B Studio: design of disruptive healthy vending machine brand Mother that smashed the UK’s average weekly vending machine sales by 239% and became the certified vending partner of the 3 biggest UK caterers, despite being unproven.
- Flawsome! with Coley Porter Bell: rebrand of the sustainable juice brand, leading to a 540% increase in sales, a leap from 6 – 17 wholesalers, and eight new investors.
- Ian Macleod Distillers with Contagious for The Glengoyne Distillery Experience: an expansive design programme that lead to a 117% increase in visitors and 79% increase in spend per head.
Says DBA CEO, Deborah Dawton: “The world in which we operate has changed hugely in the last 12 weeks, and many businesses are facing more challenges than they have ever faced before. What hasn’t changed is design’s relevance. Because, when faced with challenge, design delivers solutions.
Chairman of the Judges, Clive Grinyer: “Once again it’s been a huge pleasure to chair the discussions with experts across design and business to identify and celebrate such inspiring examples of the power of design. The range of projects and the ways that success is measured continue to grow and show us in countless ways how design can transform and deliver results far beyond the original goals. From Bronze to Gold, every winner is testament to the commitment to design and the collaboration between client and design team to provide us with shining examples that we can all be inspired by and learn from.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login