Doves Farm, onne of UK’s leading specialist miller, is introducing an even more contemporary design to its core range of organic flour which will give it a stronger presence on the retail shelf whilst remaining true to the artisan nature of the brand.
The redesign maintains the colour coding of the old packs but now features a more subtle pallet of pastel colours with pen and ink wash illustrations which give creative and visual cues to encourage people to engage with baking.
Clare Marriage, CEO and joint founder of Doves Farm, comments: “Rather than using illustrations to depict a beautiful loaf of bread or cake, like the images featured in glossy magazines, we wish to be more reflective of the things we make at home which don’t always look perfect but are still really tasty. As the images leave room for interpretation we want to reach out to people on a more personal level and empower them to bake a creation of their own.”
The new packaging will make its debut on the shelves this month and will be seen on the following organic flours:
1. Organic Malthouse Bread Flour 1kg – A special blend of wheat, rye and barley malt flours with malted wheat flakes. Ideal for oven baked yeast cookery and in bread machines.
2. Organic Pasta Flour 1kg – A fine white flour for making traditional pasta by hand or with a pasta machine. Use in recipes that call for 00 grade flour.
3. Organic Plain White Flour 1kg – Fine white flour milled from soft wheat varieties. Ideal for biscuits, scones, pancakes sauces and everyday home cooking.
4. Organic Fine Plain English Wholemeal Flour 1kg – Fine milled, whole grain, 100% flour stoneground from soft wheat varieties. Ideal for whole wheat pastry, sauces and everyday cookery.
5. Organic Self Raising White Flour 1kg – Fine white flour milled from soft wheat with added raising agents. Ideal for deliciously light home made cakes.
6. Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour 1kg – Flour finely milled from soft 100% whole wheat grain, with added raising agents. Ideal for baking light, whole wheat sponges and cakes.
7. Organic Strong White Bread Flour 1.5kg – Milled from strong hard wheat and sieved to make a fine wheat bread flour. Ideal for use in bread machines, for oven baked yeast cookery and profiteroles.
8. Organic Strong Wholemeal Bread Flour 1.5kg – Flour milled from organic strong hard 100% whole wheat grain. Ideal for oven baked yeast cookery and bread machines.
Clare and her husband Michael have been at the forefront of the organic movement since 1978 when they milled their first batch of organic flour on the family farm. They persuaded Michael’s parents to allow them to convert one acre of the 350 acre family farm to organic farming methods as well as asking for a £1,000 loan for a stone mill which they set up in the barn.
Pioneers back then when organic wholemeal flours were almost unheard of, the couple were only the fourth farmers in the UK to be given a Soil Association certificate.
Doves Farm now has a turnover of around £15 million and produces 50 different flours milled from ten different grain species. In addition they make biscuits, cookies, cereal bars, breakfast cereals, pasta and baking requisites, many of which are organic, gluten free or both. Two mills and two bakeries operate daily on their Wiltshire farm, enabling them to completely separate production of the organic and gluten free products.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login